Sunday, April 9, 2017

How We Know It's Time to Go Home, and a Brief Summary

We've had a fabulous trip, but it's time for us to go home. We leave first thing tomorrow morning. Here's how we know we're ready to go.

  • We've run out of most of our toiletries.
  • We're tired of our clothes.
  • I'm getting ready to start breaking selfie sticks.
Here I am on a gondola! Here I am on a gondola! Look at me!

  • We've been traveling together for 5 weeks and still love each other. But we don't want to push it.
  • We've run out of money.
  • We miss our family and friends at home.
  • All the pigeons in Italy have figured out that Greg carries bread in his pocket, and they follow him everywhere.
Greg with his friends.

  • Our toilet still isn't right.
  • Greg has read all the books on his Kindle. 
  • We're sick of gelato. Ha! THAT will never happen.
  • We miss our dog.
  • Greg has a blister on his foot. (thankfully, no picture here)




A Summary of our 35 Days

  • 35 days with no interruptions due to rain
  • 30 days with cappucino
  • 35 days with at least one extraordinary food experience
  • 35 days where we walked a grand total of 210.2 miles on 4 tired feet
  • 14 days of driving through rural Italy and we returned the car (and us) in one piece
  • 4 days in Venice and still no gondola ride
  • 35 days of trying to blend in but still being greeted in English
  • 29 days with gelato
  • 35 days of trying not to read about the US political news
  • 11 nights where we went to the local markets and brought our dinner home
  • 35 days with at least one of us saying "Wow! Look at that!"
  • 34 days with a glass of wine
Thanks to all of you who followed along on part or all of this journey. I've loved your comments.

I'll close with a few pictures Greg took last night. The evenings in Venice are the most beautiful, I think.








1 comment:

  1. Spectacular night photos! Thanks so much for sharing this remarkable journey. I love your summation!! Trust you are safely home and resting from your vacation! I have a few back issues to read and marvel over, but your headline captured my attention and I skipped to the last entry! Love, TB

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask a question or comment. And please sign your comment so I know who you are.