Monday, May 18, 2015

Final Thoughts

This will be my final post for this trip. Tomorrow we leave for the airport to begin the trip home. We have had a wonderful time, but I think we both are ready to get back home again too. I miss my bed, my dog, my friends and family (not in that order). But before I end this story, I have a few more observations and notes.

To the people of Europe: Nice job on the toilet flushing options. Now could you please consider window screens?

To the dog owners of Paris: You've really made progress on the dog poop issue here, but it seems not everyone has received the message. Spread the word. And I think all of you who take your dogs to the cafes should be commended. They are so very well behaved and sit patiently while you eat.

Although some dogs need something to occupy their time while they wait (like a plastic box).

To the French vendors and cooks who handle our food: I'm ok that you hand me my baguette or my sandwich with your hands and then take my money and then handle more food. Or that you pat down my crepe with your bare hands and then flip it over. I know Americans are germaphobes. Just promise me that occasionally you wash your hands. Maybe even more than occasionally. 

To all the restaurant and shop owners: I'm very aware of music in restaurants and stores, and when it doesn't match with the food and ambiance of the place, it is weird for me. We heard American Country Western music in an Italian restaurant in London, Copacabana in a Paris cafe, and Uptown Funk in a Paris market. I don't expect O Solo Mio to be playing in every French Cafe, but there must be another alternative.

To the beautiful young woman who was flying through the streets of Montmarte on a scooter whistling: Bravo!

To the owners of Colectivo and Fiddleheads: You might try what they do here in France. Customers pay more if they sit down and drink their coffee. And they allow you only 60 minutes of free WiFi. This might discourage those people who park at a table for an 8-hour work day with their laptops and monopolize the space. (And also, could you please start making Flat Whites?)

To all the future travelers who will visit London and Paris: If you have a smart phone, take the time to learn what apps are available for you to use while you visit these cities. You will be so glad that you did. CityMapper and CityMaps2Go saved me from joining the gaggle of people standing around with unfolded maps trying to figure out where they were. And don't be afraid to use public transportation. It's part of the overall experience of traveling in that city and seeing how the locals live.

To all future travelers to France: The French really do like their greetings. It's not hard to say Bonjour when you walk into a store or start a conversation with anyone. Don't do what we saw another American do in a market and just start off with "English???"

And finally....

To the people in all of London and France who we encountered on this trip: Thank you for welcoming us to your country. Thank you for understanding when we didn't communicate very well. Thanks for understanding our sign language and our crazy French (I really think I started one conversation by saying "I am English".) And (with the exception of the woman who made our coffee in the market yesterday) for smiling at us and making us feel like you're glad we're here. We had a ball.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask a question or comment. And please sign your comment so I know who you are.