Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Trip to Dinan, No More Crepes, and a Change in the Weather

I'm sitting at a table in our house in Dinan looking out the window and this is what I see:

But a lot has happened today to get us here.

This morning we woke to a surprise - a huge ball of light in the sky! The sun finally made an appearance, and we hope it hangs around. We packed and said our farewell to Michele, our host, and headed out of Quimper for Dinan - with several stops along the say. Here's our home in Quimper and the flowers across the street:



Our first stop was the Pointe de Trevignon. What is it with the lighthouses! We're drawn to them but this one was only a light beacon.


It was so windy that we could hardly stand as we were out on the rocks. I decided to take a photo of Greg in hopes that I might capture the moment when he blew into the surf. Thought I might have needed it to collect the life insurance.


Greg's cold was really kicking in, so we stopped at a pharmacy and I volunteered to see what meds we could find. By making lots of coughing and sneezing noises, I managed to get the pharmacist to sort of understand what I needed. Why didn't I pay attention in my high school French class?  Sorry, Monsieur Bell.

Next we wanted to stop in Rochefort-en-Terre. France has certain towns that is gives designations to for their beauty and character, and this is one. It is another charming little town with cobblestone streets and interesting buildings full of things that tourists want to buy. But it also has a chateau that was fun to explore.






When it came time for lunch, I was ready for anything but crepes. After having them for three days in a row, I needed a change. Unfortunately, the charming village was working against me, and the only places that were open were creperies. I shouldn't complain because they're wonderful, but could I please just have a nice salad with grilled chicken please? The restaurant we chose was packed and it took what seemed like hours to get our food. So our plans to make another stop were cancelled, and we headed to Dinan.

The owner of the house in Dinan lives in England, but she had sent me a map with specific directions on getting into the city and to the house - along with the phone number of the manager who would meet us here. I had spend an hour or so last night studying the map along with checking Google Maps to see exactly how we would manage driving through the very narrow, windy streets of this ancient town. As luck would have it, there was a detour, and we were diverted to a different street and we were helplessly lost. Greg stayed with the car, and I managed to call the manager and find the house. Together we found Greg and the car.... and we thought we finally had it made. But as we walked into the house, the manager realized it hadn't been cleaned. So Greg and I walked around town looking for a wine store (desperate!) while the manager cleaned the house himself. After all this excitement, going out for dinner didn't seem like such a great idea, so I found some things that we could piece together for a meal and eat here. It's now 9:00, and Greg is already in bed. Hope this cold doesn't get him down for too long.

This is what our new home in Dinan looks like and the view from our front door.


It's a very old house and has lots of steep, slanted stairs - and the floors sort of slant too. All this just adds to the charm.

Tomorrow we'll start exploring this town and the area around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask a question or comment. And please sign your comment so I know who you are.