Saturday, May 16, 2015

I Can't Believe I Forgot to Wear My FitBit!

Today we walked. And walked. We also took the Metro and a bus. We covered a lot of ground and saw a lot of Paris, and found some beautiful old storefronts here. We had noticed a few of them when we were in Rue Cler, and are now in search of more. So here are just a few of the unedited photos we took today.








After resting for a bit in the apartment, I walked over to Pere LaChaise Cemetery while Greg read a bit and relaxed. The Cemetery is just a few blocks from our apartment, and it is huge! Much larger than i anticipated! But if a cemetery can be cool, this one is. And lots of famous folks are there. I had printed a map that I found online before we came, but they also sell them there. You need a map. Even with my map and an adequate sense of direction, I got lost several times.


My first stop was to say hello to Jim Morrison. I felt I needed to tell him that the girl next door to me in my freshman dorm had played "Light My Fire" until I hated it. Jim's grave is easy to find.

Next I thought I'd stop and see Oscar Wilde seeing that we have the same name. Poor Oscar is encased in plastic now since his grave was constantly being covered in lipstick kisses. You now can see that his fans now kiss the plastic instead. I wish I understood the meaning of the sculpture with the arms. Does anyone know?

I found Edith Piaf, but searched in vain for Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas who are buried together. It is really hard to walk around these cobblestone walkways with lots of people holding maps doing the same thing. The graves are so close to each other that they are almost on top of one another. Fascinating. I was a bit afraid that I might not find my way out, but when I finally did, I was miles from home.

We were not successful in our attempt to have a second dinner at Restaurant L'Ange 20. We knew that getting in without a reservation on a Saturday night would have taken a miracle. We're just glad we had the experience once. We ended up at Le Gai Moulin, a place around the corner that was just OK. In fact, it was kind of "meh".

The night was beautiful and so we joined the rest of Paris as we walked around, looking at the people sitting in cafes and admiring the sunset over the Seine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask a question or comment. And please sign your comment so I know who you are.